Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cans Aquired

My Last Visit To Save-A-Lot Ever

So today I went to Save-A-Lot, and it will be my last visit there ever. I walked out with my cart of cans and realized the checkout girl hadn't given me a receipt. I walked back in immediately, I had literally gone 10 feet. I asked the girl for my receipt and she asked me what I bought. I said, it was your last transaction. She looked at me with a blank stare and said, "I don't remember." Then she turned and went back to checking out her next customer. I was going to throw a fit, thought better of it and walked out. Prices for the canned food challenge will be approximate. I know I spent $28 and some change and that the most expensive thing I bought was canned artichoke hearts at $2.49 and the least expensive thing I bought was vienna sausages at $.35. (I've never eaten them before, but they do come in a can . . . they may sit on the shelf forever.) So what is in the canned inventory? Lets see!

Veggies:

Corn
Sweet Peas
Carrots
Spinach
Seasoned Mixed Greens
Mushrooms
Artichoke Hearts
Sweet Potatoes 
Small White Potatoes
Diced Tomatoes (Garlic and Basil)

Fruit:

Chunk Pineapple
Fruit Salad
Peaches

Protein:

Black Beans
Great Northern Beans
Canned Chunk Chicken
Tuna
Clams
Vienna Sausages
Corned Beef Hash
Spam

Other:

Chicken Broth
Sausage Gravy
Whole Cranberry Sauce
Biscuits

So what's on the menu this week?

A canned Thanksgiving using the sweet potatoes, greens, cranberry sauce and chicken, Italian style white beans, Some kind of pasta with clams, artichokes and mushrooms, and maybe a spam and pineapple fried rice.  That corned beef hash is for breakfast, so are the biscuits and gravy. 

Pictures and recipes will follow as the week progresses . . . 

Oh and I bought a new can opener. See the fancy looking one on the left. Yeah. It doesn't work at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment